Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Monday, December 28, 2009
Six years ago today, after being in labour for over 12 hours during an attempted VBAC, I lay on a hospital bed while the doctors tried desperately to find my baby’s heart beat. I remember crying and squeezing Scott’s hand, while we both prepared ourselves to be told that we had lost our baby. Just as panic really started to set in, his heart beat came back. It was alot slower than it was supposed to be- but it was there.
I faintly remember them rushing me down the hallway for an emergency c-section. I remember them telling me that they had to start my epidural again before they begin. I remember not caring if I was numb, and telling the doctors to just get him out! I wanted to see my baby. They finally let Scott in, and I must have asked him every 5 seconds, if everything was OK. When he didn’t answer right away, I would turn and ask my midwife, or the anaesthesiologist. I remember praying, and begging God to keep our baby safe. A few moments later, I heard Scott say, “I see his head! He’s huge!” (Turns out he wasn’t really *huge* he just had a big head!)
His cord had been wrapped around his chest and neck. He had marks from it being so tightly wound. We were told that my uterus was so thin, that a couple more contractions and we could have had a rupture, which would have been catastrophic for both of us. But we didn’t. God knew just what HE was doing when He scared us enough to agree to the c-section. (which I wouldn’t have- under any other circumstances)
Not only was our first baby boy here- he was perfect.
When I watch him today, I see what I imagine a 6 year old Scott to be like. Except that he has 5 sisters to torture, and a little brother as his sidekick. He is the epitome of a little brother. He kicks over doll houses, eats their food, trips them as they walk by, hides their stuff, and locks them out of their own room. He loves lego, he’s a math whiz, and he squishes bugs with his bare hands. He preaches for their “play church” services, and never forgets to pray for a prayer request he’s been given.
I am so thankful that God spared our son 6 years ago today. I can’t imagine our family without him!
Happy 6th Birthday Elijah!
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Blogging, had simply become a habit for me…. but then, I had a ton of Christmas shopping to do. Then, there was the basement reno that is half finished. The photos to be edited. Hats to be made and delivered in time for Christmas. Throw a husband, 7 kids, and a house full of laundry into the mix- and that is why I haven’t blogged in a week.
Last Friday, while I was at a bake exchange with Scott’s mom, she got a text from Nadine, telling her that her nephew Harley, had been hit by a car. Unfortunately, when he was out for a walk with his girlfriend, an impaired driver swerved and hit them while they were walking along the shoulder of the road. He passed away this weekend.
Please keep my husband’s family in your prayers. I know several other families who will be celebrating Christmas without a special loved one this year, and when I saw this poem- I decided that I would have to post it.
I hope it’s a blessing to someone.
Christmas With Jesus
I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below.
With tiny lights, like Heaven’s stars, reflecting on the snow.
The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away that tear.
For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.
I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear.
But the sounds of music can’t compare with the Christmas choir up here.
I have no words to tell you the joy their voices bring.
For it is beyond description to hear the angels sing.
I know how much you miss me, I see the pain inside your heart.
But I am not so far away, we really aren’t apart.
I cannot tell you of the splendour or the peace inside this place
Can you just imagine Christmas with our Saviour, face to face?
I will ask him to light your spirit as I tell him of your love.
So then pray for one another as you lift your eyes above.
So be happy for me, dear ones, you know I hold you dear.
And be glad I’m spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.
I sent you each a special gift, from my heavenly home above.
I sent you a memory of my undying love.
After all, love is a gift more precious that pure gold.
It was always most important in the stories Jesus told.
Please love and keep each other, as my Father said to do.
For I can’t count the blessings or love he has for each of your.
So have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear.
Remember, I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.
Praying for many tonight,
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
Our house is pretty old, and sometimes our doors jam.
Well, last night, Scott and I locked ourselves into our bedroom.
Knob would not turn. Wouldn’t even budge… After trying for half an hour to turn the handle every which way, take the door knob off by unscrewing it- with a pair of kids’ scissors that just happened to be on my dresser, and having no luck… (most of this time I was sitting on our bed laughing at Scott) Oh, and did I mention that we were holding a candle over by the door because our room lights don’t work, and we forgot that we had a lamp? Cause we were… working by candle light that is. I almost burnt Scott’s hand several times. So when he came to the conclusion that he was going to have to break the door, or the frame to get it open- I asked if I could try first, because I’ve always wanted to try and kick a door down… so lady-like. I know… For some reason, he just gave me a strange look and ignored me. Then, he continued to try and pull the door through the frame. I almost died laughing when I saw what he did next… he got out his sword and I thought he was going to try and chop the handle right off…. thankfully, he jammed it between the door and the frame and popped it open.
“Why didn’t you do that half an hour ago!!??”
Scott, right before he slapped me… don’t worry… I slapped him back. :)
Check out my photo shoot from last weekend. I had a great time with these gorgeous girls, and the amazing hair and makeup artist! :) Can’t wait to get my hair done!!!
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Am I behind on my posting or what!?
I can’t believe it has been a week since my last *real* post.
- I left my whole family and went away for two days with my mom-in-law to a Ladies’ retreat in Michigan. Scott survived. And so did the kids… :)
- I spent way too much money while away at said ladies’ retreat. But in my defence… it was my first time at Cracker Barrel!
- We went to the children’s Christmas party for Scott’s work. You already know what happened there. What I didn’t mention… was Eve standing up front doing the Macarena… *flashback to grade 7 dances* And Elijah doing the twist… it was hilarious! He twists like an 80 year old man.. Keona and Somiya tried to make Jeddy dance… he wasn’t so into it.
- They each received toys from the Santa at the party. Keona got an MP# player. I don’t have an MP3 player… but my 9 year old does. We have since, added (at her request) “Revive Us Again” to her playlist. Jed got a keyboard, and Elijah got a remote control truck. Elijah got mad at Jed, took his keyboard, and dunked it into a bucket full of water in the laundry room. Now Jeddy has a remote control truck. And Elijah… well, he has what Keona recommended he get- a lump of coal. We are totally into the holiday spirit around here!
- Scott has almost completed his first semester. One more exam to go! *Praying he passes everything*
- We have one week of school left before Christmas break! I’m looking forward to
sleeping in playing games, and doing all sorts of arts and crafts with my kids! :)
- Ella has learned the word “no.” Her sisters tell her to do something and she yells, “No! No!” I come around the corner and as soon as I say, “Ella, you…” She says, “Yes, ma’am!” She cracks me up…
- Eve played “Joy to the World” in church with the other violin students. I was going to take lots of pictures, but then I video taped it instead…
- I have been so busy editing other peoples’ photos that I’ve barely taken any of my own. Hopefully that will change now that I’m done taking hat orders for this year; I only have 1 more photo shoot booked for this month; Scott will be home during the days for the next few weeks! So while I’m sure that alot more has gone on in the last week or so… my brain is exhausted at the moment and I’ve already rambled long enough!
Looking forward to Christmas shopping this weekend! :)